Saturday, January 12, 2008

Budget Meeting - January 12, 2008...WOW!

John Donne said, “Knowledge cannot save you, but you cannot be saved without it.”

Today’s budget meeting most definitely provided Sea Ranch Association members with knowledge. Unfortunately, not very many of our membership was present to gain access to the knowledge. Not good.

Not good because a monthly dues increase of $23.34 is “on the table” for 2008-09. That increase would set the assessment at $185.84, up from its present amount of $163.00 ($162.50 if electronically paid). While the increase will undoubtedly be met with a collective gasp from the membership (I know I “gasped”), hard questions regarding this increase must be asked and answered, not with gasps, but with insight gained from a careful analysis of the information available.

I have to echo what Roy Austin said on the Sea Ranch List Serve (I do still read it ….just no campaigning)……..”You all shoulda been there”

Increased dues will result from additional assessments in the following areas, in the following amounts:

1) Additional Administrative Clerk – Yearly Cost of $45,699 – Monthly Assessment Increase of $1.66

2) Deputy Community Manager – Yearly Cost of $59,994 – Monthly Assessment Increase of $2.18

3) Information Technology Manager/Expert – Yearly Cost of $20,650 – Monthly Assessment Increase of $0.75

4) Trails Committee – Yearly Cost of $1,635 – Monthly Assessment Increase of $0.06

5) Forest Management Plan for Timber Protection Zone – Yearly Cost of $13,500 – Monthly Assessment Increase of $0.49

6) Fire Safety Task Force Initiatives – Yearly Cost of $150,000 – Monthly Assessment Increase of $5.46

7) Commons Area Verdant View Restoration – Yearly Cost of $12,000 – Monthly Assessment Increase of $0.44 - (more discussion in 3rd budget meeting)

8) Office Space Expansion – Yearly Cost of $100,000 – Monthly Assessment Increase of $3.66

Those are the numbers. Here are what I believe to be the questions:

1) What do we gain if we choose to go forward with the increases?
2) What are we willing to lose if we don’t?

Obviously, these questions are inseparable. We can scarcely consider one without considering the other. The questions then become not only very difficult, but very unnerving. I suspect the answers will be as well.

The third budget meeting is scheduled for February 9. We need your help. Please try to make it. If you can’t, post your comments on this BLOG, and I’ll make sure to carry your message to the meeting.

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can still do something.” – Edward Everett Hale

As Always…….Be well,
John Forenti

2 comments:

Charles Mills said...

John, what's your opinion on whether these various items are "worth it" and why?

And is that perhaps the wrong question? Shouldn't we be doing zero-based thinking? Not asking "are these additions worth it?" but rather "is each and every line item worth it?"

And please don't misunderstand. I am generally in the "pro-BOD" camp, and generally think we get good value overall. I do think these questions are worth asking, howerver.

Thank you.

John Forenti said...

Hi Charles:

Thanks for your thoughtful response. I'm most pleased that you have commented on the blog, and that you have done so in such a well reasoned and insightful manner.

I agree. Sometimes the key is in knowing what questions to ask. I will look at the budget "line items" again with that in mind.

I also am generally "pro-BOD," but you're absolutely right. We have to ask the questions. Tomorrow, I will post once again with your on the budget. I look forward to your comments once again.

Thanks again Charles!

Be well,
John