Friday, March 14, 2008

How Could This Be?.......




About 5 minutes into my bluff walk Wednesday morning, I met Jack Dupre. When a gambler is on a winning streak, I've heard it referred to as having "cut into a hot deck." Jack Dupre is a fun guy. He's also like cutting into a "hot deck."

Jack talked while we walked south from Helm Station. Like David and Joan Griffith, who'd I met on my first bluff walk, he was a wealth of information. Jack said that he walked the bluff often with his wife Marsha. He explained the trail was closed at Walk On Beach and that folks had to take a detour which required them to walk on paved Sea Ranch roads to access the beach.

When we got to Walk On Beach, I saw Jon Prescott and his crew doing some work on the bluff. Hard working folk doing good things for Sea Rancers (thanks Jon!). After I took a couple pictures, Jack Dupre introduced me to a woman I'll never forget. Her name is Susan Clark.

I'd heard about the situation in Unit 28 and Walk On Beach. Heard it was real bad. But unitl I saw it for myself Wednesday morning, I really didn't understand how it impacted folks who live there.

That fact hit me when I noticed a black, plasic tarp flapping wildly on the edge of the bluff, like a child's runaway kite stuck on a power line.

It certainly wasn't the view of the ocean one would expect when only living 60 feet from the bluff's edge. But, there it was. Unbelievable. How could this be happening at The Sea Ranch of all places?

For Sea Ranchers who'd like to know what the bluff top erosion issue is really about, I invite you to spend some "quality" time with Susan Clark who lives on the bluff immediately up from Walk On Beach.

The black plastic tarp is in front of her house.

I spoke with her on Wednesday morning. She and friend Tom Cochrane, a geologist and former board member, gave me a 30 minute tutorial on bluff erosion. She talked about her battles with Sonoma County, the Bane Bill, possible solutions, both desired and not desired. Tom explained the intricasies of bluff erosion the way only a professional geologist could. He was fascinating. It was pretty compelling stuff.
Complicated and complex are other descriptions. So complex and complicated that Susan Clark says she'll be happy when, "I only have to worry about Mother Nature." Think about that for awhile. It'll definitely put a "hitch in yer gitalong" as the cowboys say.

Still, the bottom line is this. There's a way to solve the problem. It ain't easy, and it ain't cheap. But, it can be solved. It must be solved, and for all the right reasons.

However, the main reason is because Susan Clark is a Sea Rancher, and she is my neighbor. And, neighbors watch out for each other. I'm going to watch out for Susan Clark. We all should.

More about the Bane Bill and Sonoma County next time.....

"Life's most urgent and compelling question is: What are you doing for others?"
---Martin Luther King Jr

2 comments:

Linda C. McCabe said...

John,

I am glad you met Jack Dupre. He is a great guy.

Hopefully you will soon get a chance to meet his wife Marsha. I met her soon after moving to Sonoma County and think of her as one of my longtime friends.

I'm also glad you met Tom Cochrane for his professional knowledge of geology is a wealth of information to understand how to address this complex issue of bluff top erosion.

If there was an easy solution to this problem, it would have been done a long time ago.

Linda

John Forenti said...

Yep. Jack's a great guy.

Hopefully, I'll get a chance to advocate for Susan and all the other folks living on the bluff.

This is just unacceptable, and I'm very troubled that we haven't moved on it. I'd like to give it a try.

Thanks again Linda!

John